Citation: 91.484.1 (Full image size: 74Kb)
Story County Bank building as drawn by artist for January 3, 1893 issue of Ames Evening Times. Structure on northeast corner of Douglas Avenue and Onondaga (Main) Street was built in 1891 at cost of $11,000. It was built for George W. Douglass, a Cedar Rapids manufacturer and friend of John I. Blair. Blair named one of the town's original streets after Douglass. Street name was spelled "Douglass" until 1923, when new street signs incorrectly used "Douglas." In 1992 this building housed, among others, Iowa Electric Light and Power Co. (See also: 91.485.4)
Citation: 91.484.2 (Full image size: 67Kb)
Opera House Building on northeast corner of Kellogg and Onondaga (Main) Street. Built in 1891 by Professor J. L. Budd and Judge John L. Stevens. Cost: $13,000. Size: 50' x 90' The Opera House occupied the entire second floor with a seating capacity of 600. Grove and Zenor Grocery Store (afterwards, Grove Bros., then J. J. Grove) occupied the west half of the first floor until 1916. J. B. Elliott's furniture store first occupied the east half of the first floor. The building was divided in 1903 when it was sold to J. E. Davis and A. L. Potter. A fire wall was then built through the second floor, making the strucure into two buildings. Carr Hardware occupied the east half at one time before moving to the south side of Main Street around 1923. The west building was purchased and occupied in 1991 by Alphabatics Corp. Main Street Music was the occupant of the east building, first floor (1991). (This photo is from an artist's sketch in "The Ames Evening Times," January 3, 1893.
Citation: 91.484.4 (Full image size: 94Kb)
North side of Onondaga (Main) Street between Douglas and Duff. In 1992 this is 121-123 Main. Built in summer of 1892, finished in 1893, by A. M. Perkins and George O'Brien. First occupants: west room of first floor, R. T. Sisson general merchandise; first floor east, a Mr. Walters of Dennison with a bakery; W. P. Taylor, photographer, second floor east; and K. P. Lodge, second floor west rooms. Building still stands (1992) - west portion (123 Main) occupied by Sportsman's Lounge and east portion, Pyle Photo Service (121 Main). The Scenic Theater, Ames's first movie house, once occupied the east first floor of this building. It later became Joe Gerbrach's Twin Star Theater that operated at this location for many years. This artist's sketch appeared in January 3, 1893 Ames Evening Times. The building measures 50' by 85'.
Citation: 91.484.6 (Full image size: 94Kb)
George G. Tilden's general merchandise store located west of the Union National Bank on north side of Onondaga Street. This artist's sketch appeared in January 3, 1893 Ames Evening Times. The bank and Tilden's were both built in 1890 and were of the same exterior design which was maintained through later renovations, a factor still evident today (1992).
Ames Public Library
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
Copyright (C) 2013, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/05/2013 01:00:50 pm