227.1308.1-4
  

Adams Bros. Grocery on the southwest corner of Onondaga (later Main) Street and Kellogg Avenue around 1909 (Onondaga was paved and renamed "Main Street" in 1910.) James Winfield Adams and M. Jay Adams were the eponymous brothers. The store was operated by them between 1891 and 1911. The enterprise was sold to Bates and Keigley. The building was remodeled with a white stone front and served as the Commercial Savings Bank in the 1920s and later as the Ames Building & Loan. M. Jay Adams subsequently engaged in the furniture business and founded the Adams Funeral Home. [See also: 137.758.5-6]

1909@
MAIN STREET
Keyword(s)

Ames Public Library
Information Services
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
(515) 239-5656


Copyright (C) 2013, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/05/2013 01:01:12 pm