Citation: 91.484.4 (Full image size: 94Kb)
North side of Onondaga (Main) Street between Douglas and Duff. In 1992 this is 121-123 Main. Built in summer of 1892, finished in 1893, by A. M. Perkins and George O'Brien. First occupants: west room of first floor, R. T. Sisson general merchandise; first floor east, a Mr. Walters of Dennison with a bakery; W. P. Taylor, photographer, second floor east; and K. P. Lodge, second floor west rooms. Building still stands (1992) - west portion (123 Main) occupied by Sportsman's Lounge and east portion, Pyle Photo Service (121 Main). The Scenic Theater, Ames's first movie house, once occupied the east first floor of this building. It later became Joe Gerbrach's Twin Star Theater that operated at this location for many years. This artist's sketch appeared in January 3, 1893 Ames Evening Times. The building measures 50' by 85'.
Ames Public Library
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
Copyright (C) 2011, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/06/2011 03:38:42 pm