Looking west from Duff corner on Main Street. Streetcar tracks still in place (removed in 1929). Most of parked cars are Model-T Fords from around 1927. Vitaphone (first talking movies) were being shown at the Capitol Theatre on the north side. Capitol was name of theater which replaced the Princess (117 Main). The Shoe Hospital was operated by S. O. Hytland (102 Main). Children of Ames called building on southeast corner the skyscraper building because it had five stories (store fronts) -- laid on their sides.
Ames Public Library
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
Copyright (C) 2011, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/06/2011 03:38:43 pm