A patent medicine bottle with the imprint of the Tilden & Loughran Drug Store, located on the north side of Onondaga (Main) Street between Kellogg and Douglas avenues (416 Onondaga Street in the 1899 "Directory of Ames"). The directory identifies the proprietors of the drug store as Fred C. Tilden (Farwell Tilden Brown's great-uncle) and Thomas J. Loughran. In a 1901 "Ames Commercial Club" (precursor to the Chamber of Commerce) publication (ID9.39.3) T. J. Loughran is listed as a druggist with Loughran & Bauer Drug. Fred Tilden was in the drug store business from 1889 to 1901. From 1901 to 1910, Fred Tilden worked for Tilden & Co., his family's department store; and in 1913 until his retirement, he managed the Tilden & Poole Grocery Store.
TILDEN, FREDERICK CLARK
Ames Public Library
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
Copyright (C) 2013, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/05/2013 01:23:19 pm