Citation: 128.705C.1-2 (Full image size: 78Kb)
Gaessler Lodge at Camp Canwita, probably shortly after its name was changed from Canwita Lodge, in 1981, to honor William and Myrtle Gaessler. The lodge was built in 1926. It was remodelled in 1956 and 1971. In 1925, when Myrtle Gaessler was the executive director of the Ames Camp Fire organization, she chaired a committee that arranged with Ames businessman/farmer Walter Grove to set up a campsite for the girls in one of Grove's timbered pastures north of Ames. The following year, a new campsite was selected on Grove's farm closer to the Skunk River. Funds were raised, with a major contribution from Myrtle and her husband Bill, a professor of chemistry at Iowa State College, and the construction of the lodge was accomplished. The lodge still  stands and is in continuous use. It is located just off of Duff Avenue in the northwest corner of Inis Grove Park. For more information about the origin of the Ames Camp Fire organization, see chapter 44 in "Ames in Word and Picture; Book Two: Further Tales and Personal Memories," by Farwell T. Brown, 1999.
Citation: 128.705C.3-4 (Full image size: 80Kb)
Gaessler Lodge and the sign for Camp Canwita on a snowy day in Inis Grove Park. The Ames Camp Fire Organization's outdoor facility is located in northwest corner of the park. This photo was included in a Camp Fire scrapbook and was probably taken around 1981.
Citation: 128.705C.5-6 (Full image size: 121Kb)
The side and back of Gaessler Lodge in Camp Canwita, the Camp Fire organization's outdoor facility located in the northwest corner of Inis Grove Park in Ames. Photo was included in a Camp Fire scrapbook and was probably taken around 1981.
Citation: 207.1175.4 (Full image size: 76Kb)
A close-up of the sign (in ID 128.705C.3-4) which announced the location of the Ames Camp Fire organization's Camp Canwita in the northwest corner of Inis Grove Park. The sign reads "CAMP CANWITA; HORIZON CLUB/JUNIOR HI/CAMP FIRE GIRLS/BLUE BIRDS. Blue Birds is the primary-grades organization of Camp Fire. This photograph was part of a Camp Fire scrapbook and probably dates from about 1981. Camp Canwita was founded in 1926 in the park and has been in continuous existence ever since .
CAMP FIRE (YOUTH ORGANIZATION)
Ames Public Library
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
Copyright (C) 2011, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/06/2011 02:58:07 pm