1907
   Citation: 166.928.3-5 (Full image size: 53Kb)

House, built (completed in February, 1907) for Lydia Cooper Tilden, widow of George Galen Tilden, on the west side of Douglas Avenue. This was also the home of Lydia and George Tilden's daughter Winifred Tilden, who was the head of the women's physical education program at Iowa State College. In this home another daughter, Mary Tilden, married Harry Farwell Brown in December of 1908. Mary and Harry Brown were the parents of Farwell Tilden Brown, born Dec. 17, 1910. This house still stands [2004] at 915 Douglas Avenue, looking the same except that the porch in the photo is no longer screened-in. (See also, 167.929.1-3)

   Citation: 25.126.1 (Full image size: 58Kb)

Looking north up Douglas Aveenue from the northwest corner of Onondaga in 1907. Tilden Grocery has people standing in front. O. K. Barbershop (5 chairs) with downstairs entrance is shown on left. Arlington Hotel (formerly West House) is in the center beyond Tilden's and the newspaper office. West House, a frame building, was built in 1868 by William Sherwood on corner of Fifth and Douglas. It was once owned by William West, the first mayor of Ames. Before West purchased the building, a group of women forced the closing here of the town's only saloon. The hotel was removed in 1915 when Captain Wallace Greeley bought the site and constructed in 1916 the Masonic Building which now (1991) houses the Octagon Center for the Arts. (See also: 25.126.3; 25.127.1; 26.128.1)

   Citation: 25.126.2 (Full image size: 63Kb)

East side of Douglas between Onondaga and Fifth Streets. (Photo is part of 1907 panoramic.) Building on right -- after renovation -- now (1994) houses IES (utilities company) on the first floor. Carl Little & Co., real estate and insurance, occupied the building in the center on the second floor; the post office was on the first floor (note words on awning). The next post office was built on the corner of Fifth and Kellogg in 1912. The house at the far left was the home of Dr. Charles Hunt, a dentist; it later became the Ames Hotel.

   Citation: 25.126.3 (Full image size: 65Kb)

Looking north up Douglas Ave. from the northwest corner of Onondaga in 1907. Tilden Grocery has people standing in front. O. K. Barbershop (5 chairs) with downstairs entrance is shown on left. Arlington Hotel (formerly West House) is in the center beyond Tilden's and the newspaper office. West House, a frame building, was built in 1868 by William Sherwood on corner of Fifth and Douglas. It was once owned by William West, the first mayor of Ames. Before West purchased the building, a group of women forced the closing here of the town's only saloon. The hotel was removed in 1915 when Captain Wallace Greeley bought the site and constructed in 1916 the Masonic Building which now (1991) houses the Octagon Center. (See also: 25.126.1; 25.127.1; 26.128.1)

   Citation: 26.129A.3 (Full image size: 50Kb)

From 1907 panoramic photograph of downtown area.


DOUGLAS AVENUE
Keyword(s)

Ames Public Library
Information Services
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
(515) 239-5656


Copyright (C) 2013, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/05/2013 12:36:33 pm