81.426.1-5
  

In 1924, this bronze plaque was placed on the corner of Fifth Street and Douglas Avenue by the Sun Dial Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) to commemorate the home of Noah and Matilda Webster. Built in 1864, theirs was the first home to be built within the original boundaries of Ames. The house was moved when Captain Wallace Greeley and his wife Mary Greeley had their house built on the site. (The Greeley house is the present [2006] Adams Funeral Home.) The Webster home still exists, greatly modified from its original structure, at 717 Crawford Avenue. The plaque reads "Homes are the cornerstones of civilization--Bryce" (See also: 81.425.3-5; 99.535.1-5)

1924
DOUGLAS AVENUE
Keyword(s)

Ames Public Library
Information Services
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
(515) 239-5656


Copyright (C) 2013, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/05/2013 12:36:42 pm