Citation: 231.1332.1-3 (Full image size: 117Kb)
The Tilden Grocery Story around 1928. The store was located in the building that is now  occupied by Reiman Music (409 Douglas Avenue). The grocery was one department of the Tilden Store Company, founded in the early 1880s by George G. Tilden. After George Tilden's death in 1892, the enterprise was known as Tilden Brothers and Company until it was incorporated in 1910 as the Tilden Store Company. One of George's sons, Lucian, managed the company until his retirement the late 1940s. Pictured here in front of the Tiden Grocery, from left to right, are the store's staff: Exa Langford, Albert Batman, Elizabeth Batman Salyers (the bookkeeper), an unidentified man (possibly, Jim Likely), Lester Bence (the meat cutter), Lou Tilden (head of the company), and George Miller (the manager of the grocery). Astride the delivery motorcycle is Burris Bence (Lester Bence's son). Harry Farwell Brown's insurnace company was located on the second floor of this building--the stairway in the left of the photo led to his office. Harry Brown, father of Farwell Tilden Brown, was the Lucian Tilden's brother-in-law.
Ames Public Library
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
Copyright (C) 2011, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/06/2011 03:06:41 pm