81.425.1
  

Photo of the first European-style residence in Ames. Built in 1864-1865 by Noah Webster on what is now the northeast corner of Fifth Street and Douglas Avenue (site of the Adams Funeral Home [2000]). The house was first moved to Duff Avenue. In 1909, it was moved to 717 Crawford where it remains [2000]. Porches on the front and back have been enlarged since its early days. A marker at its original site commemorates the first house in Ames. (Photo taken in the 1980s by Farwell T. Brown)

1864
FIFTH STREET
Keyword(s)

Ames Public Library
Information Services
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
(515) 239-5656


Copyright (C) 2013, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/05/2013 12:39:54 pm