Citation: 118.648.3 (Full image size: 39Kb)
Grand Avenue underpass, when new, in 1938. Built by Ben Cole & Sons Contractors. Looking north from Lincoln Way. Photo, courtesy of the Iowa Department of Transportation.
Citation: 122.667.1-2 (Full image size: 57Kb)
This photograph of the Grand Avenue underpass, going under the tracks of the Chicago & North Western Railroad bridge, was taken by W. G. White on October 7, 1938. The photograph is looking north at Grand Avenue from Lincoln Way. The approach from Lincoln Way to Grand has been altered several times since this photograph was taken. The latest was a widening in 2001-2002. In this photograph, a train is seen approaching the bridge from the east. The railroad's water tank, on the edge of the Chicago & North Western Depot Park, can be seen in the center of the photo.
Citation: 122.667.3 (Full image size: 62Kb)
This photograph, taken by W. G. White on October 7, 1938, shows the new Grand Avenue underpass from Fifth Street, looking north toward Lincoln Way. Tracks from the Chicago & North Western Railroad cover the bridge spanning Grand Ave. In the center left is the water tank which occupied the western edge of the Chicago & North Western Depot Park. The Interurban Railroad Depot can be seen in the center right of the photograph, above the bridge. That depot occupied the space which today  is the site of the Greater Iowa Credit Union (once, the ISU Credit Union). Originally, the depth of the underpass was within inches of the level of the nearby Squaw Creek. This fact accounted for frequent flooding of the underpass in its early years. The drainage has since been changed to help prevent flooding. Additionally, the depth has been changed and the street widened in a number of reconstructions. Note the art students, sitting on the sidewalk in the left of the photograph, sketching the underpass.
Citation: 127.701.1-3 (Full image size: 70Kb)
Same are as shown in 127.700.2-4/131.718.5-6 after underpass was completed. (Looking southeasterly from C & NW mainline.) Note open rolling land area beyond Lincoln Way intersection. Underpass roadway formed a "Y" at intersection at this time. Sorenson's Phillips Oil station can be seen opposite the intersection, where later would be built the entrance to the Iowa Department of Transportation.
Citation: 168.940.1 (Full image size: 134Kb)
Grand Avenue underpass as it appeared when it was first constructed. The certificate of completion for the underpass was dated August 9, 1938. This photograph is taken from newsprint. The underpass was needed to eliminate the busy railroad crossing that had slowed automobile traffic in the area. For a discussion of the Grand Avenue underpass construction, see p. 23 of "Ames in Word and Picture; Further Tales and Personal Memories," by Farwell T. Brown, 1999.
Citation: 174.974.5 (Full image size: 37Kb)
Here's a look at the intersection of Lincoln Way and Grand Avenue when the underpass was new in 1938. The Highway Commission buildings on the south side of Lincoln Way were built soon after World War I. Sorenson's Oil Station can be seen just to the right of the inetersection on the south side of Lincoln Way. (See also: 174.975.1)
Citation: 23.116.3 (Full image size: 67Kb)
Aerial view of underpass on Grand Avenue under C & NW tracks. Taken in 1938 shortly after the underpass was completed. Note construction of Ames High School (afterwards, Central Junior High School; then -1990- Ames City Hall) in upper center right. Work is in progress on second floor. The 1912 Ames High School can be seen to the right of this construction. In foreground is the Interurban Depot, built in 1915. At time of photo, depot had been moved back from Grand Avenue where it had been before construction of the underpass. Depot served as passenger depot for Interurban streetcars and as freight depot. At time of photo depot served freight only. In center right is Kimler Coal & Ice Co. (note mounds of coal behind building). C & NW water tower is shown east of second underpass.
Ames Public Library
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
Copyright (C) 2013, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/05/2013 12:44:53 pm