1959
   Citation: 206.1171.3 (Full image size: 123Kb)

Iowa Highway Commission photograph, taken on June 1, 1959, showing Lincoln Way (old Highway 30) before it had been widened or straightened. This was right before work was undertaken to straighten the road which had curved toward the south when it was U.S. Highway 30. This curve became know as Lincoln Swing after the main road was straightened. The north-south road shown in the lower center-to-left of the photograph was once known as Walnut Street when it led to the now-nonexistent town of Ontario. In 1963, by municipal ordinance #1055, the street was renamed "North Dakota Avenue." The street can also be seen continuing on the other side of Lincoln Way; that portion was unnamed until the 1963 ordinance when it became "South Dakota Avenue." (Courtesy of the Iowa Department of Transportation)


HIGHWAYS
Keyword(s)

Ames Public Library
Information Services
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
(515) 239-5656


Copyright (C) 2013, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/05/2013 12:48:20 pm