The interior of a general store in Ontario, Iowa, an unincorporated town founded in 1869. In 1962 Ontario was annexed into the city of Ames. This store was originally owned by Thomas M. Alysworth from 1890 to 1892. In September, 1892, it was purchased by S. T. (Bud) Zenor. In March of 1896, John and Melvin Ross bought the store. In 1898, Melvin bought out his brother's interest in the store. From 1899 to April, 1900, Oscar Foster and Charley Zenor owned the store. After this, Ed Hutchinson and Bill McMasters owned the store and sold dry goods, groceries, hats, caps, boots, and shoes. Ed Hutchinson bought out his partner in 1903. He operated the store until 1916 when he built a new store. Despite it history of ownership, this store is generally recalled as Hutchinson's Store. For more information, see pp. 2-3 of "The History of Ontario, Iowa," by Jerry Litzel, 1984.
Ames Public Library
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
Copyright (C) 2013, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/05/2013 12:52:33 pm