Main Hall at Iowa State College in about 1898.Construction began in 1864, completed in 1868.Classes officially opened here in spring of 1869. Building housed the entire college in the beginning. Students were housed on designated floors; classrooms and dining facilities were included.Baking and military training both took place in the basement level when Iowa State began.Burned in 1901 and 1902. Beardshear Hall was built on the site.(Photo from Don Faas' collection of glass plate negatives).
IOWA STATE COLLEGE
Ames Public Library
515 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010-6215
Copyright (C) 2011, Ames Public Library
Published: 07/06/2011 03:16:51 pm